From:
"Judson O. Berkey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 19:04:53 -0400

Hello all,

    I have been lurking on this list for a month and half after a
self-diagnosis of celiac sprue and have found it incredibly useful.  I will
begin seeing a GI this week in hopes of getting a medical diagnosis.  I was
prompted to write because of the thread on President Clinton.  It would be
wonderful to find a cause celebre for celiac disease as it is woefully
underpublicized and understood.  However, I have some doubts about Clinton's
diagnosis given all of the photos of him thoroughly enjoying fast (or any
other) food given to him.  Perhaps this is a very recent condition or
diagnosis for him though.

    My own interest is in contacting anyone active in food labelling law or
drug law with a bent towards celiac disease.  I am currently a law student
and plan on returning to my home in Washington, D.C. when I graduate.  After
living through the three most miserable years of my life and having a
multitude of doctors probe my mental health instead of my stomach I am very
motivated to try to do something to help celiacs and others with food
allergies live an easier life.  I would be very interested in hearing from
anyone who is active in lobbying or legislative work on these issues.

    I also have a more mundance question.  I was wondering if anyone has
ever had problems with fortified/flouridated city water?  I know that I
probably have been unable to eliminate all gluten from my diet but find that
when I drink bottled water as opposed to city water I feel a noticeable
difference.

    Feel free to either e-mail me personally or post to the group.  Thank
you for any responses.

Sincerely,

Judson O. Berkey