From:
"Max Desorgher" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Sep 1996 20:50:53 +0000

Rebecca Markle <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> But what keeps me healthy...able to withstand stress....are those
> essential fatty acids.  I strongly suggest you look in that direction.
>
> In summary, yes, I looked at phenols...thought it valid for a while...then
> went past it to embrace the EFA's.

Rebecca - I am making an effort now to get plenty of essential fatty
acids. I think you are right, that they have a big part to play in
healing the nervous system, and probably the liver as well.
But when I first started out on my gluten-free, and then milk-free
diet, I didn't know about the danger of phenols. I am suggesting that
people be warned, especially newly diagnosed celiacs with a history
of depression, fuzzy brain, anxiety, panic attacks, insomnia, halucinations,
of the dangers of phenol. I have had several terrifying attacks of
what I now realise was phenol overdose in the last few weeks, the
worst of which landed me in hospital. I will no doubt be told that I
am exagerating, but on all three occassions, I thought I was about to
die. If I had been warned in advance, I could have been saved myself
and those near to me a lot of anguish.

The rationale seems quite clear to me, although I don't have the
medical knowledge to back it up. Before going g-f, I was having panic
attacks at night - I now understand that olive oil and tomato
were the most likely culprits. Orange juice would also make me sick.
The reason is, as you say, probably to do with lack of efa's due to
many years of fat malabsorption.

As my gut began to heal, the uptake of nutrients increased, but also
the uptake of phenol. By how much? could the uptake double? or
treble? So suddenly I was much more susceptible to a critical uptake
of phenol.  The result was the poisoning episodes, which, believe me,
were not nice.

Now, I'm not suggesting that all celiacs need to be worried about
this. I am worried about people who are coming to a gf or gf-cf diet
after many years of undiagnosed illness or autism or mental illness.
I think that fatalities could occur, if this problem isn't taken seriously.

We are entering into new territory here. I don't mind being a
pioneer, if only my experiences can save others after me from
suffering so much.

So, yes, high fat diet by all means, but also the advice to avoid
high phenol concentrations, especially in the first weeks and months
of gf or gf-cf diet.

For those who are interested, I now have a file with relative
salicylate concentrations in common foods, and can send it on, or
post it here or on the web.

Max