From:
Bruce Bimber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 1996 09:31:20 -0700

The gold standard indicating what level of gluten causes reactions
in people with celiac sprue is the controlled study in which
statistically valid samples of people with and without sprue are given
gluten from the source in question in various degrees, and then biopsied.

Unfortunately there are very, very few such studies to cite--certainly
none regarding Advil or french fries.

Short of being able to rely on such studies, we are ALL  working with
guesses and deductions and inferences--some based on a branch of science
other than pathology and gastroenterology, some on our nothing more than own
individual impressions, and so on.

In the absence of gold-standard evidence, I would like to see the
greatest possible flow of ideas and even speculations, and I will make up my
own mind about what I accept and what I reject.

I am thankful that so many people are willing to post to the list, and
am equally thankful that we are willing to challenge one another
and critique those posts--in a polite fashion.

B. Bimber