Date:
Wed, 26 Jun 1996 23:42:42 -0400

As I have written before, I am a self-diagnosed celiac. I feel that celiac is
a possible cause of my peripheral neuropathy, which began to manifest itself
about 18 months ago. Since becoming gluten-free (last January), the worsening
of my symptoms (affecting sensory, rather than motor, nerves) has stopped,
and the worst symptoms have disappeared. My first clue about a possible link
was a marked worsening of my condition for several days after eating a large
amount of fresh wheat bread (last November). Due to my schedule and my
general disappointment and frustration about the inability of my doctors to
determine anything about my condition, I did not return at the time to
discuss any possible celiac disease as possible cause of my neuropathy.

A few weeks ago, I moved from Illinois to Vancouver WA, and I am now
preparing for my first visit with my new family doctor (with Kaiser
Permanente).  I just received my records from my previous doctors, which
included the results of lots of tests when they were trying to determine the
cause of my neuropathy (they did not consider celiac as a possible cause, so
I had none of the blood tests I now know about).  According to them, all the
test results were negative.  However, I note in my records that albumin keeps
popping up as abnormal: high albumin in my blood chemistry, high albumin in
spinal fluid, with albumin serum low in spinal fluid.  Also, something called
"IGG serum" was low in my spinal fluid. (any relation to IgG antibodies?
 maybe I don't have CD after all?)  In the past, I remember albumin showing
up several times as high in my blood chemistry, and I recall a finding of
albumin  in my urine as well ("orthostatic albuminuria").

I know nothing about what all this may mean, if anything. Of course, I will
press my new doctor for details.  But, in the meantime, does anyone reading
this have any ideas what this might indicate?  Does it bear at all on celiac
disease?

Thanks so much for your ideas.

Mark Evers
Vancouver, WA