From:
"Donald D. Kasarda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 1996 11:55:08 PDT

I most certainly wasn't implying that anyone should take up smoking--just
passing on some interesting observations, the meaning of which isn't at all
clear.  I could even imagine that the correlation found might result from
some sort of personality trait that is genetically linked to the
susceptibility genes for celiac disease whereby celiac patients (as a group,
of course, not all individuals) are less drawn to cigarette smoking than the
population as a whole. Thus, there might not be an actual physiological
effect, although that is certainly also a possibility.

Don Kasarda
Albany, California