Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 19:17:35 -0800

Hi everyone,

This question is directed mostly at the doctors on the list.  I live up
here in Washington and we recently had an ecoli outbreak again.  I was
in Seattle and my boyfriend called me to tell me that they had just
isolated the cause - Odwalla apple juice.  Just my luck, I never drink
it, but had had one ( Raspberry with apple ) earlier that day.  That was
yesterday and today I still feel ok except that I've had 4 bowel
movements, but not diarrhea.  This is VERY unusual for me.  Since I
generally feel tired and gaseous all the time, it's hard to distinguish
what is causing it.

My questions:

Are there any special dangers to someone with bowel disease who
contracts ecoli?

So far 15 cases have been reported.  I'm sure that more than 15 bottles
of juice were produced, sold and consumed from the contaminated
batches.  What is happening to the other people who drank it?  Are they
immune to it?

And last but certainly not least,  if I did drink contaminated juice,
what can I do?  I know the symptoms usually start in 4 days.  And I know
that diarrhea is the body's natural cleansing.  Would intestinal
cleansing, laxatives, or lots of water be advisable?

I'm pretty sure I'm ok since lots of juice has been sold and only 15
cases have been reported, but I wonder why that is.  And this episode
started me wondering whether celiacs are more vulnerable to intestinal
poisoning.

I would be interested in any information on the subject, just in
case....

Maria