From:
"KATHRINE STRAUB [252]" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 1996 13:39:14 -0500

> Contacted Toronto Celiac Group leader by mail........no response.  Does
>anyone have recommendations for restaurants and health food (gluten free)
> stores in Toronto?  Will be visiting latter part of July. Thanks

There is a chain of restaurants ( I usually go to the one on Bloor Street
West when I'm in town) called Il Fornello.  They have gluten-free pizza
(choose your own toppings), gluten-free pasta(quinoa).  If you like, you can
have any gluten-free Pasta(they are very willing to adjust sauce ingredients
so that it is gluten-free) with any sauce for an extra $1.00 above the menu
cost.  When I was there last week, they had also added gluten free cannelloni
and gluten bruschetta.

Il Fornello also have some yeast and dairy free items on the menu, as well as
lots of stuff for the wheat eaters out there.  In other words, a good
restaurant to go with a group of celiacs and non-celiacs alike.

You should probably check with the individual location to make sure what they
offer for celiacs.

There is also a health food shop called the Specialty Food Store.  It is
located in the Hospital for Sick Children on University Avenue in downtown
Toronto (there is also a small branch in Hamilton , halfway between Toronto
and Niagara Falls).  The one in Hamilton carries a line of goods called
Tracey's Treats, which makes pasta, cookies, cakes, mixes, etc.   This is not
an advertisement, but I should mention that I know Karen Logan (the owner of
Tracey's Treats) throught the Canadian Celiac Association-Hamilton  Chapter.
I was a member of the chapter until last year when I moved to New York City.
Our friends had a pre-wedding party for my fiancee and me last weekend in the
Toronto area.  Karen made a wonderful strawberry shortcake for the party and
EVERYONE thought it was delicious.

Kathrine Straub