From:
Kirsten Klinghammer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 May 1996 02:09:52 -0700

    I'd like to add comments on calcium supplements which have
worked well for me.  I have to take calcium because my parathyroid
glands (which control calcium metabolism) don't work properly.
My favorite brand is Solaray, and I take one of two kinds.
I have not had a problem with these, and I do react to *very*
small quantities of wheat.

    Solaray Cal-Mag Citrate contains calcium citrate, magnesium
oxide, and magnesium citrate in a base of parsley, watercress,
dandelion root, and alfalfa.  It lists a natural source excipient
of vegetable stearins and uses "100% natural, preservative-free
gelatin" capsules. Six capsules supply 1000 mg. of calcium and
1000 mg. of magnesium (100 and 250 percent of the US RDA respectively.)

    Solary Cal-Mag Citrate with Vitamin D has the same ingredients
as the above with the addition of vitamin D from dry fish liver oil.
Six capsules supply 1000 mg. of calcium, 500 mg. of magnesium, and
200 I.U. of Vitamin D (100, 125, and 50 percent of the US RDA
respectively).

    Both are also labeled with the following:

    "This product is suitable for individuals who adversely react
     to the common sensitizing substances of yeast, wheat, soy,
     corn, gluten, egg, sugar, salt, nuts, artificial colors, or
     preservatives."

    I have been happy with these for the past couple of years
that I have had to take calcium supplements.  Most health food
stores (and some regular grocery stores in California) carry
Solaray, although any health food store should be able to order
these in.

    I also take other supplements, and I have been very happy
with Twin Labs too, but I have never taken any of their calcium
supplements so I can't comment upon them.

                      Best wishes,

                      Kirsten Klinghammer