From:
"Pierce, Sydney" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Sep 1996 11:10:40 -0400

   I found canned sardines useful weathering Hurricane Fran.  Cans for most
canned meats and fishes are too large for one person, and things spoil
quickly without refrigeration.  Also, if you cook with electricity, have
a grill or camp stove that doesn't require electricity on hand, along
with the necessary charcoal or propane.  Power is usually restored to
commercial areas first, and residential areas later, so you'll probably
have access to groceries before you have electricity.

   Keeping some cash in your emergency kit could be a good idea.

   If you have some warning, as we did with Fran, bake bread (it keeps for
a few days without refrigeration), fill the car with gas, make sure you
have an adequate supply of cash, and stock up on fruits and vegetables
that will keep for a few days without refrigeration.  And buy extra
batteries for flashlights (and battery-powered radio if you have
one--also a good idea).   You might also want to iron a few days' worth
of clothes and take a bath and wash your hair--it could be your last
chance to do this for a while.

   Sure wish I'd thought of all this.

Sydney Pierce
Hillsborough, NC