From:
"Ronald Hoggan, Queen Elizabeth High School" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 1996 21:28:24 -0700

Hi Janie,
I am posting to the whole list because I don't remember any prior discussion
of this topic in the several months I have been on this list.

Sandyk, et. al. "Isolated Ocular myopathy and celiac disease in childhood".
NEUROLOGY, page 792, vol. 33, 1983. This article presents a child with
ocular myopathy who, after institution of a g-f diet, improves.

Hardoff et. al. "Myopathy as a presentation of celiac disease". DEV. MED.
CHILD. NEUROL. vol. 22, pages 781 - 783, 1980. I don't remember the content
of this article, but because of the way the Source is filed, I know it deals
with vision problems. (I have a very odd way of organizing information)

There is a large number of studies that demonstrate a causal connection
between the occipital lobe calcifications associated with celiac disease and
seizures. Because the occipital lobe is the location of these calcifications,
I suspect a connection. If you want some information on some of these studies,
Medline is the easiest approach. I will be happy to provide a list of
citations if you prefer. Just let me know you want them.

On a personal level, I still get what I call eye aches. Not as often as I
used to, but prior to diagnosis, I wore bifocals. My distance correction
was necessary to meet the standard for driving, but my reading correction
was mild. I no longer need to wear any correction. On days when I have had
little sleep, it sometimes gets a little fuzzy in the distance, but is
acceptable for driving.

Both my mother and my brother have "lazy eye" where one turns off. They
also lack depth perception.

I hope that is helpful.

Best Wishes,
Ron HOggan