From:
Karen Bulmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 1996 08:25:51 -0700

>Did you get the rapid rise french bread recipe from the Canadian
>Celiac Assoc. book?

I use the recipe from Bette Hagmans "More from the gluten free gourmet".
Single recipe makes 2 pizza crusts or 1 loaf and 12 dinner rolls or 1 loaf,
6 dinner buns and 6 hamburger buns or 2 small loaves.

>for hamburger buns, or pizza crust, does it make nice ones??

I love the pizza crusts, I made four on the weekend and put a sheet of wax
paper between them, put them in my cake taker (big tupperware) with a plate
on top so they wouldn't bend when I froze them.  Last night we had no supper
planned so out come 2 pizza shells, nuked to defrost a bit.  I use Campbells
Italian tomato soup right out of the can for sauce, added toppings and
popped in the oven for about 10 minutes and presto. Supper was done
including salad (made while pizza was cooking).  Remember my gluten eating
husband, well he commented that I have now perfected the pizza shell and he
loves it.  If you want to use the pizza crusts as soon as they are made, I
find that baking them for 10 minutes first then adding the toppings and
baking for another 10 allows the dough to cook thru and not be soggy when done.

> How do you do your hamburger buns in what kind of pan?

I use a muffin-topper pan.  It's muffin size but very shallow hence the name
muffin topper, you get 6 buns/pan.  I use a cupcake pan for my dinner buns.

>I've done the dinner rolls and they are good.  I find though that the only
>problem is it gets a little crusty on top,...

  The foil does help but once the buns, bread are stored in an airtight bag
the crust is not so crusty.  It's easier to slice as well.  I let them cool
then put in ziplock or freezer bags.

Just a little info in case anyone is experiencing trouble with finding a
pizza crust/hamburger buns.

The one problem I am having is getting my hotdog buns to stop from
spreading.  I will use some of the suggestions to cut the amount of liquid,
but has anyone run across a hotdog bun pan?  My three year old likes hotdogs
but my buns always seem to turn out more like sub buns than hotdog buns.

Karen, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada