From:
Karen M Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 1996 10:37:25 +0000

There are *many* special meals available from the airlines, for the
asking. The problem is that we have to know what to ask for, and how
to ask.

On the last airline I flew, the "GF" meal included packaged (wheat)
crackers and a brownie (regular). The "low fat" meal served at the
same time had a fresh fruit salad instead of a brownie (the owner of
said LF meal was my husband - needless to say, he ate the brownie and
I ate the fruit). Otherwise, both meals had salad, chicken, rice and
string beans.

The best "gluten-free" meal I ever ate was actually United's
Hindu/Muslim meal out of LAX - rice, 2 nice lamb chops, tomatoe'd
green beans with onion flecks and fresh fruit. Beat the fruit plate
by a *mile* (that was a *coach* meal, folks!).

If you can get lucky enough to find a cooperative ticketing agent,
see if they'll go through the list of special meals available for
*your* flight, and what's in them (that's how I found the Muslim
meal!). Your best choice may be something totally off-beat, as mine
was. The way you do it is by telling the agent that you're on a
medically restricted diet... "now, what's going to be the *best* way
to feed me?" Be polite, say please and thank you, and offer to (and
do!) write a letter to his/her supervisor to thank the agent for
taking the time to make sure that you can be (a) well-fed and (b) not
sick at 35,000 feet...

karen
Karen M. Davis, Davis & Associates                             818-892-8555
The first rule of magic is simple. Don't waste your time waving your hands
& hoping when a rock or a club will do. (attributed to McCloctnik the Lucid)