From:
"Victor J. Samuel Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 1996 08:26:26 -0400

I have received 4 posts that agree with my previous opinion about FDA
food labeling. I personally don't agree with Shawn Andersons posting about
wanting less government control in this area; unfortunately the government
is the only source who could enforce more accurate labeling.
        There is always such concern about the small number of people involved.
As a comparison, I recently read an article in our local newspaper about
healthcare workers having a latex allergy. Some of the points made were that
only one percent of the general population had such an allergy; from four to
twenty one percent of healthcare workers were affected. In July, the FDA
propsed mandatory labeling of all medical devices containing latex! It follows
with the statement that precise estimates of the scope of the problem are scant.

        We now recognize that not only Celiacs are affected negatively by
gluten, but many other medical conditions also seem to be. I would think that
makes our numbers greater and don't understand why we have such a difficult
time getting more accurate food labeling. Maybe having a nationally known
figure or celebrity in our corner would help.        Lynn