From:
Chris Futia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Apr 1996 21:34:12 -0400

I would love to correspond with any list subscribers living in or originating
from India.  My 3rd adopted Indian child (Peter Ramesh, 18 months) has
brought celiac into our lives.  (One of the other two contributed lactose
intolerance ... far easier to deal with).  I've often wondered if celiac
might be less frequent in the Indian population, particularly people from
South India (a very rice-centered culture).  I lived with a family in a small
village on the Malabar coast for a whole year in '73-'74 and never once ate
any breads.  We ate rice and legumes at all meals.  I had to return to the
U.S. and eat in Indian restaurants to gain an appreciation for the wonderful
and varied Indian breads.

Chris