From:
Mildred Oberkotter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 1996 20:59:02 EDT

TO Philip Glaser, with a copy to the celiac list:

Thanks for your digest....I've been diagnosed with hypoglycemia or as being in
the borderline about 15 or 20 years ago.  My mom had Type II diabetes and
probqbly undiagnosed celiac, and so I have been very much aware that this
hypoglycemia may be a precusser to diabetes. My symptoms are profuse sweating,
lack of energy, and hunger (all of which comes up quite suddenly, and all at
once).  When I recognize any one of these signs creeping into my body, I
immediately seek complex carbohydrates or anything else to eat.  That usually
reverses the reaction.  I also have been taking ChroMate or chromium.  I have
the yeast free product as it seems to work best for me.  It's supposed to
regulate blood sugar.  I saw an article in USA Today last week on my way home
from a business trip which tells about a scientific research with chromium.
It seems to help with blood sugar regulation.  I wish I had saved that
article, as I haven't seen any report of this in the NYTimes nor TIME
magazine.  The research doctors suggest an upping of the RDA levels for
chromium.  This research has been hailed by the medical profession as a valid
one.   I'll try to find this article in the library or by calling USA Today.

Anyway, you presented this idea for me  that my symptoms which I've attributed
to hypoclycemia may also be celiac ones or else connected.  I have been
experiencing more recurrence of these symptoms lately (I'm also a newly
diagnosed celiac of about 5 months).  Sometimes I wonder if it's from eating a
non-gf food or hypoglycemia.  I plan to ask this intern I'm meeting in a
couple of weeks for a complete workup for a blood sugar test for
diabetes/hypoglycemia.

The main reason why I'm looking up this intern from out of town is that in the
past five months, I've been diagnosed with an acute heart attack (from which
I'm almost fully recovered), diagnosed with celiac disease, and fibroid uterus
for which a hysterectomy is indicated!  I'm looking for a common link, and so
far the doctors said these are individual incidences.  It is difficult for me
to fathom, as I had regarded myself as very healthy, eating natural foods,
taking food supplements, and doing exercises.  I am now 61 years old.  This is
frustrating.

I'm pursuing reports that natural progesterone may be that common denominator.

Any comments from you folk (doctors and laymen) would be appreciated.

Mildred Oberkotter from the Big Apple