Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 1996 22:51:01 -0400

Hi All:
   We make our own rice milk. It's easy, cheap and you can adjust the sugar
and add flavourings as per your preferences (we're fond of frozen
strawberries to make strawberry 'milkshakes'!). You can use this rice milk with
frozen bananas to make a sort of ice-cream like treat too. We really
didn't like the price for commercially prepared rice milk and after the
info came on the list that one of these commercial  products was not
necessarily gluten free (the one we used to use) we came up with this recipe:

RICE MILK (need a blender)
        INGREDIENTS
        1 cup dry white rice
        1 litre (~ 4 cups) water
        1 tbsp (up to 1/2 cup) white  sugar
        1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)

1. Add rice and water, let soak room temperature for at least 4 hours  or in the
refrigerate over night (we put rice n' water right into the blender container!)
2. Blend rice and water in blender on high for about 1 minute
2. Strain out rice from water (SAVING WATER  SOLUTION!)
3. Add sugar and flavourings (ie. fruit), blend again
4. Refrigerate (we're comfortable using this within 48 hours; maybe a
longer shelf life, we don't know, never tried!)

CHOCOLATE-BANANA 'ICE CREAM' (need a food processer of some type)
Use about 1/2 cup rice-milk with 3 frozen bananas, that have been sliced in
half and length-wise before freezing  (from a refrigerator freezer NOT a
deep freeze, if you take the bananas from a 'deep' freeze microwave them
first to soften them a bit first or your processer may protest, loudly!)
and add chocolate syrup and a little bit of vanilla extract if desired.
Blend in food processer until smooth but NOT melted! We find this best if eaten
right away but our 9 year old likes it even after its been in the freezer
for a couple of days (it gets crystaline like a sherbert if kept in freezer
after it's made).
OTHER THINGS TO ADD: chocolate chips, frozen fruit, whatever you like and
is gluten free <GRIN>; FYI, non-GF people may like this concoction too!

Hope these recipes are of some use. You may have to play around with them
a little until you get it just the way you like it. I know we'll never buy
rice milk again!

Karen in Nova Scotia, Canada