From:
Danna Korn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 1996 16:43:54 UT

I too have been in PR for many years (11!), and launched a publicity effort
here in San Diego a couple of years ago.  Our ABC and CBS affiliates both ran
wonderful pieces featuring my son and two different GIs; for the most part,
both pieces were accurate and informative.  Our newspapers have been promising
to do articles, but have only run small announcements on our meetings that we
hold (I started R.O.C.K. -- Raising Our Celiac Kids and we have potluck
picnics).  Frankly, I haven't followed up to bug them on the features.
The angles I found most appealing to our reporters were:
- thousands of people out there probably have it and don't know it
- kids have to practically die before they're diagnosed (every one of our
parents in our group has the same story about how their kids almost died
before someone would really pay attention to them)

I used the Newsweek article to establish credibility (if Newsweek will run it,
it must be a great story!).

Good luck...we can certainly benefit from everyone's efforts to generate
publicity and awareness among parents, physicians, and the general public!  If
you want to contact me directly, please feel free:  [log in to unmask] or (619)
756-1631.

Danna