From:
Michael Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Sep 1996 17:52:29 GMT

In a recent posts, the GF/non-GF status of mono- and diglycerides has
been brought up.  Also, the glue used in stamps has been questioned.
Please allow me to expand on these subjects.

Mono- and diglycerides are lipids which are better known as fats and the
discussion on this List in previous posts infers that they are often
derived from petroleum based products and should be gluten free.

Several years ago, Dr Elaine Hartsook prepared for the American Dietary
Association a GF diet.  This diet sheet lists Mono- and diglycerides as
nebulous ingredients that can use a wheat carrier.  Dr Hartsook was
known to be an excellent and accurate researcher in reviewing the status
of products.  She tended to take the position that when in doubt, due to
some evidence of gluten, we should consider a product as inappropriate
for the GF diet.

Dr Hartsook passed away this year, so we are unable to double check her
source of information.  I will add it to my list of items to continue
researching.  While you are checking the status of a product, if anyone
finds a knowledgeable person in a company's production department who
can explain how Mono- and diglycerides are incorporated in a certain
product, please pass along the information to me.  This information
will provide the needed insight into different production techniques
and maybe we can resolve the mystery.

In summary, Mono and diglycerides, are nebulous.  Each person must
evaluate their personal diet and determine the desired level of risk.

Now let's consider the glue on stamps.  A known ingredient in many
brands of glue is wheat.  For this reason, the adhesive used with
stamps has always been suspect.  Several years ago, an informal request
to the Post Office resulted in the standard statement "We do not know
and the source can change".  When no-lick stamps came on the market,
the status of the glue became a non-issue.  Also, there is the obvious
ploy of using a damp sponge.  Why take a chance when you have acceptable
alternatives?

So the glue on stamps is another nebulous term, but less of an issue as
it is easily avoided.

----
Michael Jones ([log in to unmask]) Orlando, FL USA