From:
Pauline Qn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 1996 22:03:45 -0400

Hi,

1)  Don't know if you already know about Trader Joe's but I'm fairly new to
GF and didn't know how much they care.  I am excited about this discovery.
Trader Joe's has a FIVE SIDED handout listing their GF products.  A friend
(wonderful, helpful, friend) found it when she visited one of their stores.
Their list shows they are aware of our needs. I am told the list is
available in all their stores and they have stores in California, Boston &
Nevada.  Sorry I don't know where else but I am also told they also have a
list of their stores in all of their stores, so I will pick it up when I
visit this evening.

The list has a section on each of the following:
Snacks/Dips/Entrees/Side Dishes/Salads/Bakery/Dried Fruit, Nuts, Trail
Mixes/Baking Needs/Grains and Cereals/Soups, Chilies,
Beans/Groceries/Toppings,Sauces, and Salad Dressings/Condiments/Frozen Fruits
and Vegetables/Frozen Desserts/Candies/Deli Meats and Sausages/Dairy Products
and Milk Alternatives/Beverages/Juices and Smoothies/Supplements/Contains
Distilled Vinegar or Distilled Alcohol (otherwise okay)/Contains Natural
Flavors made with distilled Alcohol (otherwise okay).

I now have two DIFFERENT copies of the list one dated 3/96, the other dated
10/95 -- Both picked up on the same day at different stores.  There are some
differences (e.g more recent list says the 99% fat free cheese cake "contains
distilled vinegar or distilled alcohol"  on the older list it is listed as
gluten free -- so make sure you get the most up to date list and do all the
usual checks.

THINGS I CAN'T WAIT TO INVESTIGATE:
Cioppino Seafood Stew
Low Fat Black Bean Enchilada
Tasty Bite Madras Curry
Chicken Masala Frozen Dinner
Eggplant Parmesan
Tasty Bite Kashmir Spinach
Vegetable Korma Frozen
Rice Pecan Bread
Mayonnaise
Lemon Curd
Artichoke Pesto
Rice Wine Vinaigrette with Garlic
Bombay Curry Simmer Sauce
Calcutta Masala Simmer Sauce
Garlic Pesto
Monopolowa Vodka
Supplements: "Our supplements are gluten free with the exception of the Oat
Bran tablets.....and the Herbal Night-cap."

2)Thanks to everyone who answered my questions on weight/sore
throat/depression could I have celiac disease.  I received many responses and
I will post a summary to the list as soon as I have time.  I wanted to answer
you all individually but after the first dozen or so I couldn't keep up.
 Thank you, you helped me feel I'm not going crazy and this is in fact
happening to me.  I visited with a new doctor yesterday and spent ONE AND A
HALF HOURS going through my symptoms and family history.  He actually
listened and asked relevant questions which further strengthen our belief
that my symptoms are due to celiac disease.  He suggested I be kind enough to
send the summary of your replies to my last two doctors.  "since I am sure
any doctor would be grateful for this information, so they won't make the
same mistake again.!"  He told me that the research I have done is excellent
(most of it was from you, or information you have referred me to)  He
concluded I do have a gluten intolerance.  So, add me to the list of people
misdiagnosed with IBS (by three different doctors).

Well, Trader Joe's is calling my name -- Look forward to hearing from you
soon

PaulineQn