From:
John E Cameron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 1996 21:41:41 EST

A few weeks ago, I was looking for some advice on energy bars and freeze dried
meals.  Heres a few tidbits I learned:
-The back of Bette Hagman's cookbooks proved to be the best source.
-AlpenAire of Nevada City, CA (800-322-6325) makes what appears to be a few GF
meals amongst their product line.  If you call AlpenAire, they won't go out on a
limb and certify anything GF, but they will send ingredients lists and let you
decide.  REI (Recreational Equipment Co) carries their products.  I haven't
tried them yet.
-On the advice of a list member, some Health Valley Rice Bars are at least a
readily available GF energy bar.  There are other makers (see Bette Hagman's
books), but at least my local Safeway carries the Health Valley line.
-If you do a Netscape search for freeze dried foods, you get a few interesting
hits, including a company called TECFEN.  Unfortunately, they responded that
they couldn't provide any information about their products being GF.  Two other
companies have yet to reply to my inquiry, ABNET Swiss Army products (whom I'm
eager to here from), and the maker of Heater Meals (The meal with the stove
inside!).  I'll pass on any good news to the list.