From:
"ANDREW E. STEVENSON" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Feb 1996 14:02:24 EST

>From a posting by Mary Courtney:

<snip> CD is usually diagnosed only after the intestinal villi show damage,
often after 5 or more years of obvious gastrointestinal symptoms.  Many
physicians will not confirm a diagnosis of CD unless the symptoms reach this
severe level.  .  .  .  With documented early warning signs, diagnostic
practices could be amended.  .  .  .  With more frequent screening for Celiac
Disease, the high probability of progression to other health crises can be
halted .  .  .  Currently, CD cannot be reliably diagnosed (in the textbook
biopsy fashion) if the patient suspects CD before enough damage is done, or if
the patient goes on a gluten-free diet to relieve the symptoms before any tests
are done.  <snip>

This is perhaps the biggest obstacle we face. People who have enough information
about gluten intolerance in its various guises have to choose between allowing
themselves to become progressively more ill in order to have an official
diagnosis--which is required before they can claim the tax and other benefits
available to celiacs--or to forge ahead on their own with little medical
support.

We are going through this right now. My husband and I both tested positive for
anti-gliadin antibodies, but we don't know what to do with this information. Is
this a warning sign? Is it meaningful? If so, in what way? I wish there were
more clearcut guidelines for us, more research that would help point us in the
most healthful direction.

Trisha Stevenson