From:
MRS MARTHA O DUNN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 1996 11:05:45 EST

I am a Dental Laboratory Technician of 23yrs.  I find it very sad
that Dentists have approximately two paragraphs in their college
books on celiac disease.  When I first found out I had celiac, one of
the first people I sat down and talked to was my dentist.  Not only
were questions answered pertaining to my health, but my children's as
well.  It took us about a month to dig up more information on oral
health - in doing so we collected a few more dentist asking questions.
  The happiest day was when I received a phone call stating that
because of the information I had given the Drs. they were finally
able to help one of their patients - she suffered with horrible mouth
lesions for three years -  yup, celiac.   Dentists can be one of our
most helpful doctors in diagnosing this disease.... did you know that
grinding your teeth can be a symptom of food intolerance....  mouth
lesions, cancer sores, discoloration of enamel, ....  all of these
things "can be" caused by gluten intolerance.  There are other things
that will cause these problems also.  With my family, just about all
of our oral problems could have helped us to diagnose celiac quicker.

Had to put my 2cents in............. thanks Martha in NH