Beverley Sokulsky <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 30 Nov 1995 22:19:28 +1100

Hi Jean F. Advice for your mother's dietitian - DO NOT EVER eat Kelloggs
Rice Bubbles,Corn Flakes etc. these all contain malt extract and with a
severe situation like your Mum's is is best not to have any cereals at
all!! It is very likely that her bowel is so inflammed that any roughage
will cause upset. After major operations the body is still in major
stress, after both of my caesarean sections I feel great on a liquid diet
try a product called Ultracube - vege based GF stock cube - Massell makes
it here in Oz . Kelloggs products contain more than 0.02g/kg of Gluten and
are toxic to Coeliacs. Try rice flakes cooked like porridge or if
desparate baby rice cereal with maple syrup for flavouring- watch out for
lactose intolerance as it can cause major upsets to - use boiled water to
mix cereal & almond milk if you can get it or rice milk. Also watch for
any breads so called Gf as they may use wheat starch and that can still be
highly toxic - I have had all of these experiences myself. The first year
was hell but now - look out I'm up and running!!Like you said about your
own diet, eat lots of fresh food and avoid anything manufactured as your
gut walls are extremely pememable and your immune system
is  down. Hope this helps your mum tell her to contact local celiac support.
regards
Beverley