From:
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 1995 22:16:16 EDT

Lorraine Dowdle wrote:

>I understood that millet may possibly contain gluten.  Or it has not been
>tested properly so it MAY contain gluten.  In either case it should be
>avoided.  Am I correct?

This is a controversial issue. Most, but not all, celiac groups in the US allow
millet.  Don Kasarda, the USDA grain expert who often posts on our list feels
millet almost certainly contains no gluten due to its remote genetic
relationship with the known gluten grains. For detailed information on this
issue, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the body...

GET CELIAC ISSUES
GET CELIAC GRAINS

..then you will get (via return email)posts and letters on this topic (also on
quinoa, amarnyth and other exotic grains)

Bill Elkus
Los Angeles