From:
scott adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 1995 23:09:54 -0700

Hello everyone,

I spoke last week with Kathy Miller (510-637-3960) of the USFDA regarding
the origin of vitamin additives in milk.  She referred me to a company
called Grinsted, which is one of the largest manufacturers of milk vitamins
in the USA.

I called Grinsted and spoke to Luis Navarro (1-800-255-6837), and he faxed
me information on the manufacturing process of vitamins A & D. Vitamin D is
made from lanolin, which is defined in Webster's Dictionary as "a fatty
substance made from wool," and it would therefore be GF. I am, however,
allergic to wool, and am not sure if that means I'm allergic to lanolin.
Vitamin A is made by "reacting calcium carbonate with water until 20 carbon
atoms are connected to a water molecule," and is also GF.

I also asked both of them if they were aware of any testing or research
which has been done regarding gluten levels in cow's milk, which may be
present due to the large quantities of gluten containing grains they
consume. Neither of them had heard of any such testing or research, but both
said they would look into it further and get back to me.

My interest in this issue has grown a great deal since reading the following:

Taken from the collected of Dr. Kalle Reichelt, which are posted at the
following URL: http://www.panix.com/~donwiss/reichelt.html

Dr. Kalle Reichelt:

>A question was raised: Can a baby receive gluten through breast milk?

>Dr. Kalle Reichelt, a Norweigan researcher,has cited several articles as
evidence that dietary
>proteins in general, and gluten/gliadin specifically, can be transfered to
a breast-fed baby:

>The following is from a post written by Reichelt to another internet
discussion group:

>...food proteins can be demonstrated in mothers milk (3-6) as intact
> proteins. This could easily therefore take place also during pregnancy.

>3: Kilshaw PJ and Cant AJ (1984) The passage of maternal dietary
> protein into human breast milk. Int Arch Allergy and Appl
>Immunol 75: 8-15.

>4: Axelsson I, Jacobsson I, Lindberg T, and Benediktsson B (1986)
> Bovine lactoglobulin in human milk .Acta Paed Scand 75: 702-707.

>5: Stuart CA, Twiselton R, Nicholas M and Hide DW (1984) Passage
> of cow s milk protein in breast milk .Clin Allergy 14:533-535.

> 6:Troncone R, Scarcella A, Donatiello A, Cannataro P, Tarabusco A and
> Auricchio S (1987) passage of gliadin into human breast milk .
> Acta paed Scand 76: 453-456.

>From Dr. Reichelt in reply to my post yesterday, in which I wondered
whether the amounts of
>gluten in mother's milk is significant:

>Subject: Trace amount of protein in milk.

>Date 9 Mar 1995 4:38 PM

>Hi. It should be stressed that the amount are small. However, the point is
that even trace amounts
>can be important because if the proteins are not properly broken down
peptides will accumulate.
>After all the uptake of proteins from the gut into blood has also been
demonstrated: Husby et al
>(1985) passage of undegraded dietary antigen into the blood of healthy
adults. Scand j Immunol
>22: 83-92.

>Other references in brief : Bloch KJ et al (1979) gastroenterology
77:1039-1044. Thomas et al
>(1974) Immunology 27:631-639. Walker WA et al (1974) gastroenterol 67:
531-550.

>Because gluten contains at least 15 opioid sequences per molecule
(Fukudodme S-I and
>Yoshikawa M (1991) Opioid peptides derived from wheat gluten: Their
isolation and
>characterization. FEBS Letters 296:107-111.) It is therefore clear that one
molecule could
>theoretically give 15 opioids. This means that trace amount of peptide
could quickly become very >important. Cheers
>Tiny

Because gluten seems to have the ability to permeate Human tissue and pass
into Human's milk, it occured to me that it may be possible for the same
thing to happen with cow's milk. Again, if anyone can point me to any
research on this topic I would be most grateful.

I will post any information I find to the list.

Scott Adams - San Francisco, USA
Celiac Website:
http://www.hooked.net/users/sadams/