From:
Richard Lockley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 1995 14:29:18 GMT-10

In The Age Newspaper today 11/10/95, published in Melbourne Victoria, there is
an item which I'm sure will be of interest to the list in light of the recent
discussion on wafers in communion.  I quote "The Vatican has provoked fury by
issuing a decree banning men who suffer from an allergy to gluten from
becoming priests.  All communion wafers must contain gluten to be suitable for
the celebration of the Eucharist, the Vatican has decreed.  Gluten, the
protein in wheat, triggers the debilitating coeliac disease.  Coeliac disease
can cause dramatic weight loss, vomiting and diarrhoea as the gluten irritates
the small intestine.  Lethargy and breathlessness are also symptons.)"  (This
has a note to say it is quoted from the English Guardian)

I won't add a wicked comment as I am tempted to, I'll just leave it
as it  is.

RICHARD LOCKLEY
phone: +61 3 9905 5018 (work)
     : +61 3 9882 4498 (home)