From:
John Argue <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 1995 22:07:05 -0700

Hello Larry & Tania, and welcome to the list.  Before the biopsy became
the gold standard test, immediate positive response to the gluten free
diet was considered enough for a firm diagnosis.  Each person of course
has to decide for themselves (or parents must decide) and since the
gluten free diet can be difficult to maintain (especially for small
children) some people choose the biopsy, or two or even three biopsies
spaced out over a few years.  That seems excessive to me, and not worth
the pain and suffering or the expense.  The usual disclaimers apply here:
I'm not a doctor, but have been gluten free 13 years.  I was still very
sick when my diagnosis was confirmed by biopsy; I've never even
considered a "challenge."  Feeling good is good enough.

Best regards to all for Easter and Passover.
John Argue