From:
Ted Hodge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 May 1995 00:35:31 -0400

I am a DH sufferer diagnosed by blood test and biopsy about a year ago.

My DH begins about 3-12 hours after ingesting the offending food with just
itchy patches with no markings.  Within a day or so, the area(s) grow in size
to about 1-2" diameter (although seldom round)  and begin to develop slightly
raised whelps.  There is a tendancy to form linear tracks in several
localized areas. In one or two more days, some of the whelps grow into
blisters that look like 2nd degree burns, ie they consist of several bubbles
about 1/8" diameter with a very thin layer of skin containing clear fluid.
 As the blisters burst and begin to heal, scabs form and from this point they
look like any small wound except for a very curious difference.  The lesions
bleed profusely if scratched or disturbed.  The skin reaction seems to
involve developing an abnormally good blood supply just where the lesion
occurs or perhaps inhibiting blood clotting in the affected area.

The process involves 3-7 days of development followed by 7-14 days for the
lesions to heal.

The most definitive characteristics of my DH are:
     -VERY, VERY itchy areas, worse than mosquitoe or chigger bites
     -Lesions that bleed more than one would expect.

I was treated for Poison Ivy, Eczema, and Contact Dermatitis before finding
the right Dermatologist.

I also seem to be sensitive to citrus and MSG and have a family history of
allergies.

I've been wondering if anyone with DH has had similar experiences.