From:
Laura Johnson-Kelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 1995 13:43:57 -0500

I have been hesitant to buy a bread machine or indeed to experiment with
baking gluten-free yeast breads at all after my first couple of tries with
xanthan gum.  It made the pizza crust from Bette Hagman's Gluten-Free
Gourmet the most bitter, nasty-tasting stuff in the world.  My husband (who
is usually very approving of gf baked goods) summed it up by saying it was
the worst crust he'd ever eaten, and refused to finish it.

I have tried using xanthan gum in a couple of other recipes with the same
(incredibly bitter) result.  Has anyone else encountered this problem?
Does xanthan gum need to be stored in a special way--does it go bad
quickly?  I put mine in the refrigerator after opening--could this be the
problem?

Any comments would be useful.
Laura Johnson-Kelly
265 McGraw Hall