Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 1995 06:40:41 -0500
From:

 Last Passover was my daughter's first gluten-free and we discovered
wonderful things.  In orthodox neighborhoods in large cities (ie.  New
York) there are glatt Pesach bakeries which are only open for a few weeks
before the holiday.

 They bake wonderful cakes and cookies with potato starch which are
gluten-free.  Layer cakes, chocolate leaf cookies, brownies, etc.  My
mother lives in NY and I had her go to one of these bakeries and buy and
freeze.  I have a few brownies left in my freezer and they are still
tasty.  Most of these products are also parve, so if you are lactose
intolerant, it's wonderful.  I later discovered that one of the
supermarkets in a Jewish neighborhood here "imports" baked goods from one
of these bakeries and I stocked up some more.  I am a reform Jew and
didn't realize that some orthodox Jews won't eat matza or matza meal
except at the seder.  Hence the potato cakes.  They have gotten
gluten-free baking down to a science.  I am getting a list of products
available from one of these companies.  I don't know what is available in
New Zealand, but you may want to see if there are bakeries which cater to
the orthodox and do mail order.  Several years ago, my daughter's JCC
preschool sold such cakes from a catalog as a fundraiser.

Contact the orthodox shul, kosher deli, etc.  and see who has a
connection.

 I had never thought about the wealth of gf products available for Pesach
since I just had matzah on the brain.  I got turned on to this by the
woman who runs the kosher deli in my area who was doing her own holiday
ordering.

  In case you didn't realize it, macaroons are usually gf.  Most
supermarkets also carry a limited supply of kp (Kosher for Passover)
products,many of which are gf.  There is kp mayonaise made from cider
vinegar.  Many celiacs stock up for the year on condiments since the kp
condiments are made with non-grain containing vinegars.

 Although matza is out, potato latkes are fine.  We found a "dumpling"
recipe on a box of kp potato latke mix which made an excellent pseudo
matza ball.

 Potato kugels are also an option.  Do some browsing (when it gets a
little closer to Pesach) at the supermarket with the largest kp section
(ie.  in the neighborhood where most Jews live).  If you aren't sure
where to shop, ask at a synagogue.  Also, kp potato starch is a staple in
gf baking all year long.

 I even stock up after Passover when it goes on sale.  (It will keep in your
freezer).

 I don't know how religious you are.  I learned about a year or two ago
that the Sephardim eat rice on Pesach.  Since my celiac child is only 4
1/2 (and was 3 1/2 last Passover), I felt ok allowing rice.  There is a
rice cracker called "WholeGrain" that is gf and which my daughter calls
"baby Matza" because it is thin, flat and rectangular.  This was her
"Special" matzah.  Since my daughter attends a Jewish preschool, I have
been very conscious about having gluten-free recipes to substitute for
most traditional holiday foods.  If you would like a hamantashen recipe,
you can email me directly at [log in to unmask]  The Gluten-Free Gourmet
by Bette Hagman has a donut hole recipe which I have used for "special"
(aka gf) sufganiot at Chanukkah time.

 Latkes are no problem as long as you use potato starch in lieu of flour.

 Most frozen latkes which I have seen in supermarkets are made with
potato starch and are therefore gf.

 Another gf Pesach treat we have had is a cheesecake (normal creamcheese
filling) with a Macaroon crust.  It is incredibly sweet, but very popular
with the crowd we usually have our Seder with.

 I hope this is helpful.  Enjoy the holiday!

Nancy Dorfman
Binghamton, NY