Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 19 May 1995 15:31:56 GMT
From:
William Elkus <[log in to unmask]>

For those of you looking for a milk-like beverage that is gluten-free,
casein-free and soy-free -- I think I found one at my local health food
store.  The product is made by 'Wholesome and Hearty Foods, Inc'. (phone
800-636-0109) and is called Vanilla AlmondMylk  (yes, it is spelled that
way).  Be careful, because they make another flavor ('Original') which is NOT
gluten free, as it has barley malt.

Dr. Frank Card, their food scientist (phone 503-238-5624) was very
knowledgeable and confirmed that the brown rice syrup is not made with barley
enzymes (many are), and that their natural vanilla does not have a grain
alcohol base. It is packaged in a juice box, and he said that this requires
extremely careful processing to avoid bacterial contamination. Due to this
procedure he is confident there will be no cross-contamination with the
Original flavor.

I have a letter from Dr. Card -- if any of you would like me to fax you a
copy, just email me privately.

Bill Elkus