From:
Andrea Frankel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 1995 20:16:30 -0700

1.  Basic Vinaigrette:

Mince 1-2 cloves garlic, then mash with 1 tsp salt until it's a smooth paste.
(Mortar and pestle is classic, but you can also make do with the back of a
spoon.)  Add:

1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/8 tsp ground pepper (white, black, or multicolored)
1/8 tsp sugar
1/2 cup rice vinegar (or other GF type)
1 cup favorite salad oil (I can't eat olive or canola, but found that
                          avocado oil, walnut oil, or safflower work great)
1/4 cup water
juice of half lemon  or one lime (optional but excellent)

To this base, you can add ground or leaf or fresh herbs to your heart's
content.  "Italian" dressing relies on oregano and thyme (also works
for Greek salads).  Dill weed and a dash of ground oregano is nice,
especially paired with lime juice.  Pesto and a bit of tomato paste
is zesty.
Tarragon pairs nicely with raspberry vinegar (check label for what kind
of vinegar was used with the raspberries).  The key is not to use too
many different ones together.  Look at the bottles of store dressings
for ideas.  A tiny bit of onion powder can be added for "oomph".

2.  Ranch style dressing

This is really very simple.  First, stir together a mixture of
mayonaise, sour cream (reg, lowfat, or nonfat), and nonfat yogurt
or buttermilk in whatever proportions you feel like.  (I've found that
a little mayo goes a long way and I can get away with more yogurt
or light sour cream if I use a "real" mayonnaise rather than a light
imitation.)  Stir in a little rice wine vinegar and a pinch of sugar.

Then add generous amounts of garlic powder, onion powder or granules,
salt, pepper, and if you like, a pinch of dill.    Stir well and taste,
adding more of anything that seems lacking.  Made thick, this is
my favorite snacking dip (with baked tortilla chips - yum!).  For
salad dressing, thin with more buttermilk or vinegar (you may want
another pinch of sugar if using more vinegar).

(BTW, this is one recipe that actually tastes better with garlic
powder than with fresh garlic!)

You can also add some parmesan cheese, cracked black pepper,
grated cucumber, etc - again, look at the store brands for
flavor combo ideas.

Happy salading!

Andrea Frankel - [log in to unmask] - (916) 274-1921
** Right now I'm having amnesia and deja-vu at the same time.
** I think I've forgotten this before.