From:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Aug 2015 22:10:45 +0000

Dear Listmates,
If you have been following my saga of trying the different bread baking technology advocated in the Against the Grain cookbook you will know that the cookbook author advocates using a type of buckwheat flour that comes from northern Maine in the St. John's Valley. I bought some of this flour, and St.John's Valley buckwheat is both delicious and very different from the conventional dark buckwheat flour that is easily available from Bob's Red Mill, Arrowhead Mills and others.
The flour miller, Bouchard Farms, speaks of a local specialty called "ployes" which are crepes made from a mixture of buckwheat flour and regular (wheat) flour. Ployes, it appears, are used locally for a good many things from entree to dessert. But ployes can be made gluten-free. Rather than purchasing Bouchard's ploye mix, you can make your own with Bouchard's gluten-free buckwheat and your favorite gluten-free flour.
What makes ployes interesting? The ploye crepe is more like Ethiopian injera which is soft, a bit spongy and flexible, not at all like the Breton crepes from your local creperie or from France. Ployes are very versatile and very flexible. You can roll them up into a pretty tight roll, and they don't break. They have a nice taste, and they are bland, so they don't interfere with desserts or fillings. But they are not blah.
Ployes contain no gums--they just aren't needed--no eggs and no dairy. If you would like to find out more, navigate to http://bit.ly/GF_BakeĀ  and search down the page to Quick breads which are alphabetically arranged. Ployes is towards the bottom.
Please let me know if you have questions or encounter problems.
Vic-SunnyvaleNote-the address of our web pages will be changing in the future.