From:
Evon Burk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Evon Burk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Apr 2013 16:34:01 -0400

I know that some of us who have this Celiac Disease also experience Neurological problems along with it.  BUT....I don't know what that really means since there are many variables to those problems.

At same time I was diagnosed, I got up one morning and shaking inside like I was freezing and could not stop.  Scared the living daylights out of me!  I also didn't really feel like myself.  I felt irritable, mean, mad.  I'm usually a very calm person I think and it was like I was being possessed or something.  Such a horrible experience.
Went to my Primary Care Physician that morning (thanks to my dear hubby calling for immediate appointment because I was too busy crying with the nerves shattered).

She put me on a low dosage of Valium and got me set up to see a Neurologist - which of course I had to wait a month to see.  His report though seemed very vague and really didn't impress either my physician nor myself.  So, I've remained on the low dosage of valium daily and have another Neurologist appt with another group altogether but not until mid July.  New patient appointments seem to be the issue.....evaluation time I suppose....anyway....waiting again.

So, question is:  of those of you that have (or still do) suffer with Neurological problems with this disease, can you explain them in more detail than just saying Neurological problems?  Were they anything like I experienced?
Mine, I'm told "could" be an inherited neurological disease because my older brother (5 yrs older) has what is called Essential Tremors.  His is so bad now that he can't really write anything legibale and walks with a cane.
The first Neurologist just said I had "Mild" tremors that I'd just have to get used to having.  I thought MILD?????  If I wasn't on the low dosage of valium I hate to think what that so-called "MILD" would turn into!
Fatigue is another problem.  Not to the point of total stay in bed all the time type....just too tired to tackle much at all once up/around.  I know that exercise is important to us all but I think right now, I'm just too tired to even consider that!  I have taken very short walks with my husband down the street and back but that's the extent of my "exercise".

So, are these symptoms common?  Do they go away after being gluten free for a period of time?  Just wondering of clues from others in their experiences.  Thanks much for your time/efforts to address my question.
Evon