From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Feb 2012 09:57:50 -0500

Well, actually, Passover isn't due to arrive until April, but our supermarkets already have the stuff out.  I can't deal with having to look at Passover food at the beginning of February, but the good stuff goes fast.  ("Fresh" bakery cakes and cookies come out later.  You wonder how they stay "fresh" for weeks.)

Good news, more and more of the stuff that is inherently gluten-free is now labeled as such.  Big improvement over the years.  In years past, Passover was a boon for people with celiac, because Jews celebrating Passover can't eat wheat or grains that rise in water, during that week, so a lot of terrific (relatively speaking) hit the shelves and freezer sections.  Considering how we can now buy delicious pasta and baked goods all year, without having to wait for Passover,  it is no longer practical to stock up.  Passover products are also very expensive.  Anyway, here is..my annual "speech".....

If something says it is Kosher for Passover, and does NOT say matzah, matzah meal, cake meal, or farfel .... in any spelling,  then it is inherently gluten-free.  The companies have dedicated buildings and/or equipment for processing, or completely clean out the place, so contamination isn't a problem.   You can also look for a symbol such as a K or an U with an O around it, that is followed by a P for Passover. And again, look for the matzah-related ingredients.

Spelt matzah is not gluten-free.  There are matzot available now...like Yehuda's that was posted (which isn't considered o.k. for religious purposes, but is safe to eat), or the expensive oat matzah imported from Israel via England, (which can be used for religious purposes).

If something says that it has no gebrocts, or non-gebrochts, or something like that, it is inherently gluten-free.

Also, you may want to try contacting Kollel, Los Angeles...a very observant, Orthodox Jewish group.   For years, they put out an annual booklet of Kosher for Passover cosmetics, prescription drugs, and OTC drugs. Since there is no chance of matzah itself making it into any of these products, once Kollel includes them, they're safe.   They do expect a donation.  Once you get on their list, they'll mail it to you annually, although I haven't gotten mine this year.  It's comprehensive and is updated annually.  I didn't ask them if they're doing it again.
223 South Formosa Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90036
323-933-7193