From:
Rita Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rita Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2012 18:47:46 -0600

Thank you to everyone for your response to the Employer Question.  Many
people responded with various opinions their experiences at work - some
employers are very gracious and accommodating and others did nothing. I
really appreciated reading all of the responses.  If you have questions, the
website below explains how celiacs are covered by the Americans With
Disabilities Act. Many wondered about the context of my original question:
Can anyone tell me if a company/employer is required to pay for and/or
provide a gluten free meal when they are paying for and providing a meal for

all other employees?  Does anyone know who I would call or where I could
find out this information.

I am required to attend several out of town events each year - most are
3-day events.  Once I am at the event, I am not allowed to leave during the
day for any reason including for a meal.  Many times I am there for 10-14
hours per day. I do carry "sack" meals with me which can get to be a
headache if no refrigerator or microwave is available at the event or hotel.
Some places are accommodating and allow me to use a microwave.  Other
conference centers find this a real imposition.  My problem isn't so much
with my employer but a co-worker in charge of one of these events that makes
my life very difficult to say the least on a daily basis, but at his event
it gets to be very unbearable.  He has the company supply and pay for meals
for every company employee but me.  I wouldn't mind so much but it is the
way that he handles it and makes me feel that is upsetting and I would love
to say, "You know you have to provide me with a gluten free meal also" just
to shut him up.

http://glutenfreern.com/american-disability-act-celiac-disease-gluten-intole
rance/