From:
Joyce Mandell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joyce Mandell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2011 15:25:05 -0500

Dear Listserve members:

My 9 year old daughter weighed 36 pounds at 9 years old and the doctor
was still saying she was healthy and normal when I demanded a full work
up of tests.  She was diagnosed with celiac disease last July.

But this is a question about genetic testing and celiac.  My 3 year old
son is now exhibiting the same symptoms as my daughter - He is not
eating, short stature (probably genetic) but very low weight (in 1
percentile weight category), stomach aches, can't go the bathroom,
constantly saying he is full, distended belly, etc.  However, he (like
his sister twice before) has a negative TTG and has tested negative for
the genes through Prometheus Labs.  The Pedi Gi thinks it is just
chronic constipation but I am skeptical if the genetic tests and the TTG
are reliable given that he has the exact same symptoms as his sister
did.  Couldn't someone still have celiac or gluten intolerance and still
test negative on these tests?

Any thoughts?

Joyce