From:
Olivia Kogler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 4 Feb 2012 17:56:27 -0500

First of all, thanks to everyone who offered suggestions.  To those  who
suggested that generics are not a problem I need to clarify that I just went
through a gluten reaction from a drug and it was severe.  Adding gluten to
an existing problem is tough.  Also my doctor did indeed file the proper
paperwork and write Dispense As Written on the prescription (therefore the
pharmacist could not fill it with a generic and the insurance company would
not  approve it).  To clear up another misunderstanding I do pay a larger
co-pay  for brand name drugs and have no problem with that so that is not the
issue.  Some people suggested that I change my diet and not take blood
pressure medicine.  Even though I know that all who contribute are well  meaning
this may be somewhat irresponsible to suggest not knowing all the  factors.
I spent 5 hours in an emergency room trying to get my blood  pressure below
200 when I have never had high blood pressure before so I feel I  am
getting excellent medical advice.  Others suggested that insurance  companies are
a business and we should not expect them to accommodate our  special needs.
I strongly disagree with this idea.  I am pursuing  getting approval for
the medicine which my doctor feels is best for my condition  and in the
meantime I am paying for it myself without insurance coverage.   If this were a
one time thing it would not be such a big deal but since this may  be a
lifetime issue it represents a great deal of out of pocket expense.   My final
point is that I do not think that our health care should be determined  by an
insurance company instead of our physician.  Thanks again for taking  the
time to respond to my question, especially those of you who offered specific
advice about how you deal with the problem and what resources you use.
Olivia in VA

*******
*******