From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Dec 2011 08:32:50 -0500

After yesterday's post about paper cups, I got several replies.
1. Some say maybe it's the glue. (One person referred to glue on envelopes.  I heard that's urban legend.  I buy self-stick only because I kept getting paper cuts licking envelopes.)

2. Some say (including myself), that they don't react to paper products.

3. One had a great idea...google it. So I did.  And what I came up with is that some of those really environmentally sound paper products...trays, cups, plates, etc...can be made from sugar cane and wheat straw.  Now, I don't know that we react to wheat straw, but I wouldn't rule out contaimination.  But we don't eat the plates.  In my spare time (hah!), I'm going to write to some of these companies and ask if the ingredients can leach into food.  I highly doubt it.  This stuff is very processed.  But from what I gather...it's the papergoods products that have no coloring and claim to be very biodegradable.

I'll still use paper cups.  Haven't gotten sick yet from them.  But it's not as crazy as I thought.

http://riversidepaper.net/green.html
http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/wheat-pulp.html