From:
DOROTHY MCDERMOTT <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DOROTHY MCDERMOTT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 May 2011 06:27:02 -0700

I seem to have a problem with vertigo and balance [for example, a tendency to trip when walking] along with the usual gastro upset, when glutened.  I bet that it probably has something to do with the inflammation aspects of celiac which probably effects the inner ear someway.  Wouldn't be surprised if the ENT is not familiar with the symptoms of celiac, and poo-poo's that idea. But, there appears to be a correlation there for me.

Dorothy,  I had vertigo before my diagnoses with CD, that was15 years ago.  After gf no problem until about 2 years ago, at 58yo.  Now frequent dizziness and a few falls while skiing.  I saw an ENT who did all kinds of testing, then sent me to a neurologist and physical therapy.  The therapy decreases the vertigo some if I do it three times weekly.  I no longer trust myself on ladders, it is pretty gross.  Hope you find help.  Karen in Ky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1OY3n3PYwk

A few years ago, anytime I would look upward like the upper shelves
in stores I would get dizzy.  One day while looking up and trying
to view my pear tree's small pears I fell to the ground.

I have T-1 diabetes so I went to the downtown VA hospital on a Sunday
and was diagnosed with Vertigo so I was relieved that it had nothing
to do with my diabetes but I think he said it had to do with an inner
ear infection. I was given a list of exercises to do while laying down
and I may have been given a medication but I have forgotten now.  It was
a very annoying thing but finally went away.

Ever since I was diagnosed last yr, I have vertigo issues. Along with nausea. Seems to be getting better with time. But it's not fun at all. Motion sickness as well

About 18 months ago I had a bout of vertigo that sent me to the ER twice in two days because I couldn't keep anything down. It came on within hours, quick and hard. The docs didn't know what was wrong with me there at the ER even after a CT scan. And we determined it was NOT the recurrent paroxysimal/positional type. But I was lucky enough to get in to see an ENT within about two weeks of it beginning (rare, apparently as most ENT's had a huge waiting list) and after a couple hours of testing the doc determined it was vestibular neuronitis, an inflammastion of the vestibular nerve in your ear. I spent a couple of weeks on valium and an anti-naseua drug and eventually it went away, with no permanent hearing loss. And the ENT doc told me that I was lucky I did call and was able to get in to see him so quickly because most people wait and by that time the issue is clearing up and then he can't diagnose it. I haven't had a bout of it since and hopefully
 never will again. It was miserable. So it's a good move to get in to see the ENT. Hopefully your issue isn't serious.

I do and no Dr knows the cause.  and it hits suddenly, sometimes violently, and gone. usually leaves me with a headache at the base of my skull and kind of a sick feeling.  I hate them. I have been celiac/refractory sprue for years. and gf for years. and this only hit me a couple years ago, at the most.
linda in AK    ps......It seems to be getting better now that I am using Young Living therapeutic oils...maybe the Omega Blue is doing it, as it works on a DNA level and crosses the blood brain barrier.

Immediately before I diagnosed with Celiac's, I had seizures (for the first time in my life and at the age of 77).  Since then and becoming gluten-free I feel 100% better.  However, occasionally I do have times when I feel a bit dizzy - vertigo like though it doesn't last long.  Not a good feeling however, and I am very uncomfortable when it happens.  Nancy - Pittsburgh

Hi
I've had 2-3 episodes of vertigo (very dizzy!), since being labelled a celiac.

Usually its has been associated with a problem with my menstrual cycle (when I was younger),
and recently, with the months when my period was very delayed, due to approaching menopause (I feel like i've been approaching menopause for the last 10 years!).

I wonder if other women/celiacs have this type of hormonal disturbance.

yes - was diagnosed with meniere's - wrongly - it was really very low iron

 am the Mom of a Celiac kid, and I've recently had some bouts... and I HATE IT! Would you let me know what the Dr says?

I was diagnosed with migraneous vertigo. Thus, my migraines are not the "normal" ones everyone else gets but I get dizzy/vertigo when I get a migraine. I've been working with an ENT on this and am able to keep them under control with medication.