From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 2010 20:01:40 -0500

I just found Passover by Design by Susie Fishbein on the half-price table at our local Barnes and Noble. I can't resist a good cookbook, especially at half price and a coupon. But what I like about this cookbook is that there are many, many recipes that are listed specifically as "non-gebrochts", which for celiac purposes, means the recipe is gluten-free....or can be.

Be careful to read the ingredients and use judgment. For example, if it calls for a broth or barbecue sauce, you have to make sure you chose a brand that is gluten-free. The book isn't going to be that specific.

In a recipe using blintzes (crepes rolled around cheese or potatoes), she says you can get the gebrochts or non-gebrochts variety.  I can get the non-gebrochts version, made with potato starch instead of matzah flour only some years and not others. They come frozen, and my supermarket doesn't always get them in. Read the box carefully if you're looking for blintzes. The non-gebrochts version are only available at this time of year, for Passover (which comes up at the end of March this year).

There are even a couple of quinoa recipes that I'm going to try, with the caveat from someone on our listserv recently, to be sure to rinse off the quinoa first, so it won't be bitter.

Since Passover products are already appearing on the shelves in my local supermarket, I figured I'd toss in the annual reminder....if a recipe or product says matzah, matzah farfel (any spelling), matzah meal or cake meal, those are made from wheat and we cannot eat them, or if a recipe or product says "gebrochts". Non-gebrochts are fine.

You can google gluten-free matzah and make your own gf version. Having found Betsy Iscarus' recipe on celiac.com last year, and loved it, I'm going to try to make it again this year, especially for the matzah brei recipe in this book.

Lin