From:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 2010 20:23:12 -0800

Dear Listmates,

This weekend's bread experiment was Pao de Milho, Portuguese Corn Bread. I'm
not sure that this is the next best thing to being in the Azores, but
Portuguese corn bread was a pretty good tasting adventure. If you decide to
make the bread, you first need to get into the mood. Here is a nice You tube
video on traditional Pao de Milho baking in the Azores:
http://tinyurl.com/yc9uypl (
http://acores-pretonobranco.blogspot.com/2007/10/bolo-e-po-de-milho-moda-de-so-mateus.html).

This bread is a bit heavy, and this fact is known for this type of bread
according to bread books I consulted as well as websites that feature non-GF
versions. It does not appear that there is a definitive Pao de Milho, but
there are lots of variations. The more corn meal, the heavier the bread.
Some recipes have a portion of polenta. Some of the recipes have up to 45%
corn meal. This version has about 20%. Over time I will might tinker with
proportions, but the first attempt was pretty delicious. If you would like
to take a look just navigate to: http://tinyurl.com/2vdggw (or
http://home.comcast.net/~ <goog_1268102614636>
http://home.comcast.net/~vhdolcourt/gfbaking/<http://home.comcast.net/%7Evhdolcourt/gfbaking/>).
Look for <NEW> in bright red type font.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Vic-Sunnyvale, CA*
*

*******
*******