From:
Kate Ozello <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kate Ozello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Sep 2011 11:21:25 -0400

Hey Everyone,

I thought I'd share how we dealt with our first Gluten-Free Halloween
last year...

Last year was our first gluten-free Halloween and my older son, James
(now in 5th grade) got really upset when he realized that he wouldn't be
able to eat alot of the candy from trick or treat night.  He was saying
he didn't want to trick or treat and for awhile wouldn't pick out a
costume.   (prior to this, he LOVED dressing up and trick-or-treating)

We solved this by having an unsafe candy auction at the end of the
evening.  I went out and bought individual candies that I knew they
liked (as opposed to bags of it) and non-food treats (small toys,
sillybanz - stuff you might put in their stocking at Christmas).  When
they came home from trick-or-treating, we emptied their bags and divided
the candy up: safe pile and unsafe or questionable pile.

Then I had my bag of surprise treats - I don't know if you are a
Survivor fan, but I did it kind of like the food auction - I held up
something, like 2 containers of cotton candy I found at CVS and asked
how many unsafe candies they would pay for it - except unlike Survivor -
both boys bought it, not just one.  Maybe they would shout out 5 candies
- we had a separate bag for the "payment."  They "paid" for all the fun,
safe candies and treats this way.  (my husband took the bag of unsafe
candies to his car and brought it into work - he was VERY popular)  At
the end of the auction, I had something a little bigger, I can't
remember what it was - a ds game?  (I REALLY was working hard so noone
would cry).  The "payment" for the last, big treat was the rest of their
unsafe candy.

I hope this helps you as Halloween approaches.  My kids loved it and
noone cried.

- Kate
Cols, OH