From:
richabec <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 2010 13:27:02 -0500

Thank you so much to all the kind folks who responded about Lancaster
Pennsylvania.  It sounds like we have lots of option there!  I look forward
to visiting this beautiful area!

Copies of responses are shown below.

Becky in Texas

____________

Isaac's does have gluten-free bread available for its sandwiches.  It does
contain eggs...I did not ask about dairy.

You can go to the Lancaster Celiac Support Group website and it lists places

you can eat in the Lancaster PA. area.  www.lancasterceliacs.org

Several people have had no problems with Isaac's .  you can also bring your

own bread and they will make a sandwich for you.   they are great to work

with.

There is also Rhubarb's Market on Route 501, just north of Lancaster, but
south of Route 30.  It is a healthfood store with alot of gluten free
products.
There is Ming Court Chinese Restaurant on Fruitville Pike, just north of
Route 30 in the KMart Shopping Center.  The Chinese man who owns it can tell
you which dishes have flour and which don't.  The honey chicken is good and
he said is safe, the green beans stir fried with garlic (no soy sauce), the
poached salmon, there is salad bar and rice noodle mei fun, french fries and
other things from time to time.  The owner is very good about answering
questions.  They usually have boiled shrimp on the salad bar you can shell
(I eat a plate full each time I go).  Lunch is about about $7, dinner or
weekend is more.
El Rodeo Mexican Restaurant on Route 72/Manheim Pike just south of Route 30
we eat at frequently.  Do not eat their taco chips as they are fried in the
same oil as their flour tortilla chalupas and taquitos, but they have
numerous stir fry and grilled items.  Their beans are made from a dry bean
mix.  The manager/Francisco is very friendly and will check ingredients for
you.  If you like to speak Spanish like my husband, they are more than happy
to converse in Spanish with you.
Avoid the Haas's steakhouse on Route 501 in Lititz.  They sprinkle the grill
with wheat and corn gluten and use a dust on their grilled meats.

 <http://www.mingcourtbuffet.com/> Ming Court Buffet

www.mingcourtbuffet.com

1858 Fruitville Pike
Lancaster, PA 17601-4012
(717) 560-0998

 <http://www.elrodeomexicanrestaurant.com/> El Rodeo Mexican Restaurant

www.elrodeomexicanrestaurant.com

1441 Manheim Pike
Lancaster, PA 17601-3125
(717) 509-7955

Hope this information is helpful.  If I can give you more information, I
will try to help.  We live about 20 min. north of Lancaster.
There are several other health foods stores in the county that have alot of
gluten free items --

<http://maps.google.com/maps/place?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&c
lient=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=Rhubarbs,+Lancaster,+PA&fb=1&gl=us&hq=Rhubar
bs,&hnear=Lancaster,+PA&cid=12737062886835344248> Rhubarb's Market

maps.google.com

1521 Lititz Pike
Lancaster, PA 17601-6505
(717) 390-3001

Community Natural Foodstore
12 South Railroad Avenue
New Holland, PA 17557-1729
(717) 355-0921

Akron Nutrition Center
22 North 7th Street (Route 272)
Akron, PA 17501
(717) 859-4901

Millers Natural Food (Amish)
2888 Miller Lane
Bird In Hand, PA 17505-9740
(717) 768-7582
From lancaster, Take 272 North to Route 30 Bypass.  Take 30 east, to Route
340 East.  Just after Bird in Hand Family Restaurant, turn left on North
Ronks Road.  Turn right on Church Road and then a quick left on Monterrey.
Pass a farm building on the right, cross the narrow bridge, and go down the
lane to the right.  You can see the store from Monterrey Rd. They only
answer the phone in the 7-9am time frame otherwise there is an answering
machine.
All three stores are closed Sunday.

Further east on 340 is the Amish are around Bird in Hand & Intercourse, PA.
On Route 30, east of the bypass at Millstream Road is the Mennonite
Information Cneter and reconstruction of the Hebrew Tabernacle.  On 340 in
Intercourse is an Amish Mennonitee Information center.   You must visit!

Let me know if I can help you further.

---------------------------_________________________________________________
__

Becky, if I remember correctly, cross contamination is an issue--so do be
careful if that's something you watch closely. The Prince Street cafe,
located at the corner of Prince and King, also sells gluten-free sandwiches
and toast if you ask, though cross-contamination is an issue with them, as
well, as they use the same grills to prepare sandwiches. If you're there on
a Tuesday, Friday or Saturday, there's a stand in Central Market (also
within walking distance of the convention center) that sells gluten free
cookies, breads and such. Good luck!

*******
*******