From:
Ginny Mingolla <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ginny Mingolla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 May 2010 12:16:12 -0700

Yes, people can have gluten intolerance and negative tests for celiac disease. There needs to be lots more research regarding gluten intolerance and who, exactly it is different from celiac disease.
The terms "celiac" and "gluten intolerant" are both really really poorly defined, and there isn't much of a consensus on how to use them (yet). As a diagnosis category, what is commonly done is to call someone "celiac" if they pass some set of diagnosis criteria (and those criteria are in the process of changing). If they aren't "celiac" but they react to gluten, then they call them "gluten intolerant".

But as a matter of linguistics and logic, you are correct: "celiac" is a subset of "gluten intolerance".
i was going to check that site out later myself. i have celiac, however, i have a close friend who has a wheat/gluten allergy. she has had some health issues, and a holistic doctor recommended she cut out gluten (and other common food allergies such as dairy) from her diet. things have turned completely around for her and she has avoided getting back surgery because of the diet change. she didn't have the common symptoms of celiac disease, either. i was tested with a biopsy because my endocrinologist (i am also a type 1 diabetic for 29 years) tested for the antibodies. my friend has not been tested. it has been recommended that she get tested for celiac, but other than losing the money for the test and an official diagnosis, she really wouldn't gain anything. so long answer short, yes, you can be gluten intolerant without having celiac disease.
Yes, I believe you can be gluten intolerant and not have Celiac.  I had the antibody test and genetic test done and both came back negative.  However, after reading a book about Celiac and gluten intolerance (my husband and son are biopsy diagnosed Celiac), I realized a lot of the symptoms I had been dealing with for years were on the list.  I tried going completely gluten-free and the symptoms went away.
I recently learned of a new designation: non-celiac gluten intolerance. The idea seems to be that celiac is one type of damage that can result from gluten intolerance, but that the body can respond in other ways. So, some who have gluten intolerance might not have the intestinal damage seen in celiac but might have different intestinal response, or neurological response, or other responses. I have no medical training, and can't provide specific references to research that supports this view.

I do know that one of my 3 children is biopsy-diagnosed with celiac, my elderly father was biopsy-diagnosed with celiac at age 83 after a lifetime of GI troubles. Twelve years ago, I had bloodwork that was weakly positive and lots of symptoms. The GI doc told me the diagnosis was negative based on blood work and that I should not be such a worrier. I insisted on a biopsy. He did one "to prove to you that you're wrong" - he took 3 samples none of which showed the damage of celiac. But eating gluten made me so ill that I have avoided it as assiduously as any celiac.

Now, these many years later, they have a new category: non-celiac gluten intolerance. I'm just glad that I've been eating like a celiac all these years.

There are many conditions such as excema, psoriasis, IBS, and a host of others whose causes are not known. My bottom line is "listen to your body and your instincts."