From:
Ginny Mingolla <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ginny Mingolla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 May 2010 12:15:40 -0700

the site/blog you have in question glutenfreehelp.info has helped me more than I can share. The woman who started this blog, Tina Turbin has a heart of gold and maybe you shoud clarify your question with her through her blog rather than the approach you used.

From my understanding these 2 words can mean 2 different things, mostly due to the use of the word being used this way near since the widespread awareness of Celiac Disease.

If I ever get confused by a site, I simply do more homework, peruse other sites and gather a plethora of information to beef up my arsenal - to resolve my health.
Gluten Sensitivity, intolerance and celiac are three words used in different ways all depending on who the heck you are speaking to and listening to. I find most professionals use the terms: celiac and gluten intolerant interchangably. Then you have the layman that uses the word intolerant to mean that they are extremely sensitive - and very possibly falsely diagnosed negative in being celiac.
The true test is if symptoms resolve once all gluten is eliminated.  Of course, the key here is ALL the gluten since sensitivity to trace amounts seems to increase when most of the gluten's removed and the immune system is not longer overloaded.

It's called a "clinical diagnosis" and how doctors used to practice before every decision had to be verified by one test or another, analytically.  Unfortunately, much of the common sense is gone..If shoes gives you blisters, don't wear them. Likewise, if gluten makes you sick, don't eat it. You shouldn't have to argue just because a blood test doesn't confirm it..
I think that some doctors specify that celiac sprue is a form of gluten intolerance (when, in reality it is an autoimmune response to gluten) in an effort to distinguish it from a food allergy (which is a specific type of autoimmune response different than that involved in celiac sprue).
This is how I understand a food intolerance - it means that you can't properly digest a food.  Some people are lactose intolerant because they can't digest lactose.  Others say a food gives them gas or some sort of digestive upset -- presumably because they can't digest it.

With this interpretation of a food "intolerance,"  a person can be gluten intolerant and not have celiac sprue.

I think that some doctors specify that celiac sprue is a form of gluten intolerance (when, in reality it is an autoimmune response to gluten) in an effort to distinguish it from a food allergy (which is a specific type of autoimmune response different than that involved in celiac sprue).
I have used this website for about a year and I find it terribly helpful and it actually has saved a few lives. The site promotes many doctors, food companies and the list goes on.

The question you have is simple and yes, there are many levels of sensitivities and some use the word "intolerant" loosely - the terms are interchangable, all depending on the level of education of the person speaking.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------This is totally possible – my book is currently as a resource at the tradeshow that the chapter that I volunteer with is participating in, however it has a great diagram in it showing how gluten allergy, gluten intolerance and Celiac Disease all relate.