From:
Diane Ebert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Diane Ebert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Apr 2010 07:16:49 -0500

We drove to Alaska from Pa for the summer of 05' wonderful trip but we had our home with us...12,755 miles total. We loved the little town of chicken, very remote 36 residents.......
We took lots of gf food with us & many jerky's , crackers & protein bars.. Go Picnic has some lunchables that are self stable.....In Fairbanks  ( outskirts ) we went to Ponderosa Park for the outside buffet. It was very good. I didn't get sick but I'm extremely careful...In the Kenai area there is a Fred Myers grocery that has gf foods. On the outskirts of Homer there is a small health store... We also ate a lot of salmon, halibut , scallops while there with salads .For Denali , I think everyone on the bus tour had a brown bag lunch & snacks...If you take the long trip ride it is VERY long.....
Anchorage was our least liked town very commerical , proverty, drugs, shopping.....we ate in a small restaurant in Homer , it was on a second floor on the right side going to the spit area.
We had a good meal in Valdez, a nice place serene...we toured Prince William Sound by boat. Steven tour. the best again brown bag lunch.
Food is very high priced in Alaska because everything is shipped in except for fish. Oh, in Anchorage they have a farmer's market that is interesting & we had food there.
The town of North Pole is near Fairbanks we didn't find any food there...safe food. A good place to see is Chena Hot Springs & the Ice House. It is a commerical hot spring but we loved the ice house... Liar hot springs is a remote hot spring  with lots & lots of bugs Mosquitos & all.  It was authenic & not commerical. not in Alaska either. Along the way is the Kulane Lake Region which is beautiful..These are in Yukon Territory , if I remember correctly.
It took us eight days to get to the Alaska HIghway & ten days to reach the state of Alaska...
Remember to check the border crossing website to see what you are permitted to have with you  as far as money, food, weapons & such.I will say it was longer getting back into the US than going out!!!!

City Diner, Boston's, and Chillis offer Gluten free meals in Anchorage. In Fairbanks Ivory Jacks also offers GF meals.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the areas i know best are the northern parts of the state, i have lived here since 1979 and been GF since 1989.

so it also depends on the level of reaction, i'm very sensitive, although my wife doesn't always think so....

for the most part i hate eating out, but at places like denali, its over crowded, lots of princess hotels, but standard rule is you can always get a salad there,  and fruit in the morning. otherwise i don't trust them as they are all seasonals.

fairbanks is a bit easier and in anchorage or fairbanks, fred meyers is great for GF food in the health food section, and all the fresh fish  and seafood is good.  in sunny fairbanks, pikes, the pump house, lavelles downtown and many of the thai restaurants do pretty well if asked about GF.

north pole...  unless you have to go there, don't bother , its 12 miles south of fairbanks and a great place to drive thru, i would never eat from anything there..

coldfoot and  prudhoe   cold foot is way north of here, best you will get is a  salad from the salad bar, if there is anything left..., don't count on it and you won't be disappointed... prudhoe, ..  same thing just more of it, all buffet all the time, be careful of tools used for serving, cross contamintion is an issue

food up here is tough, but not impossible, just have to plan ahead if traveling..

i have a GF bbq function at my house every thursday night, year round,  and some good wine every now and then, stop by while in fairbanks.

and if as you get more info or have any more specific questions fell free to drop a note.