From:
Rosalie Peipert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 2010 19:54:56 EDT

This is what I found out myself through research:
Rocaltrol (calcitriol) is a synthetic _vitamin D_
(http://www.rxlist.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=15296)  _analog_
(http://www.rxlist.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=24761)  which is active in the  regulation of the
_absorption_ (http://www.rxlist.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=2101)  of
_calcium_ (http://www.rxlist.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=2575)  from
the _gastrointestinal tract_
(http://www.rxlist.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=25976)  and its  utilization in the body. Rocaltrol is available as
capsules containing 0.25 mcg  or 0.5 mcg calcitriol and as an oral solution
containing 1 mcg/mL of calcitriol.  All dosage forms contain butylated
hydroxyanisole (BHA) and butylated  hydroxytoluene (BHT) as antioxidants. The
capsules contain a fractionated  triglyceride of coconut oil, and the oral
solution contains a fractionated  triglyceride of _palm_
(http://www.rxlist.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=31710)  seed oil. Gelatin _capsule_
(http://www.rxlist.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=11933)  shells contain  glycerin,
parabens (methyl and propyl) and sorbitol, with the following dye  systems:
0.25 mcg - FD&C Yellow No. 6 and titanium dioxide; 0.5 mcg -  FD&C Red No.
3, FD&C Yellow No. 6 and titanium dioxide.

Some people have to keep taking it forever and some have to have  dosages
adjusted according to blood tests. No one seems to have side effects. I
don't know how often you should get a blood test. No one mentioned  it.

A few people did not understand that I was only interested in the
synthetic kind and not an over the counter brand and sent me info on what they  were
taking which is all derived from lamb or sheep's wool  lanolin.

1. I have been taking calcitriol since 2004.  I had taken .5  mcg/day until
several months ago when I changed to .25 mcg/day.  My Dr.  reduced the dose
because the level of calcium in my blood got over the desirable  limit.
Calcitriol changed my life.  I had hyperparathiroidism due to  Celiac and
rheumatism in my back etc.  I had kidney failure as well.   I am currently doing
fine with everything and have never had any side  effects.  Calcitriol can
be used directly by the body where other  supplements need to be "activated"
by the kidney.  Anybody in northern  latitudes needs at least .25 mcg and
maybe .5 mcg depending on serum calcium  levels.

2. I also had  problems with the animal derived Vitamin D so I was taking
D2 for a while, which  didn’t do the job.  Finally I went to the synthetic at
50,000 units and  started with 2 times per week, after a couple of weeks I
reduced it to once a  week.  Even at that dose, I had some tingling down my
legs, then went to  once every 2 weeks.  I could associate the tingling with
the Vitamin D  because it was the only thing I changed, nutritionally,
during that  period.  I have had no detectible problems with taking it every 2
weeks.  After a couple of months, I was retested and the level was fine.
This lady must have been taking

Ergocalciferol (Deltalin, _Eli Lilly and Company_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eli_Lilly_and_Company) ) is a form of _vitamin D_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_D) , also called vitamin  D2. It has the systematic name
"(3β,5Z,7E,22E)-9,10-secoergosta-5,7,10(19),22-tetraen-3-ol". It is created
from _viosterol_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viosterol) , which in turn is
created when ultraviolet light activates _ergosterol_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergosterol) . The 50,000 IUS add  up to this drug in dosage.

3. I am taking  prescription calcitriol, .25  mcg daily, and have been doing
so for a long time. I'm also taking vit D as a  prescription item 50,000
units 2x week. I am being monitored by my  endocrinologist/

4. I have been on (the generic form of Rocatrol) Calcitriol  0.25 mcg daily
since March of 2007.  My 25OH Vitamin D test level was 23.7  in 2007 before
I started.  After I started the Calcitriol once a day, I  tested at 43.3 in
June of 2007.  In March 2008 it was 40.7 and in April of  2009 it dropped
to 33.  I'm due for a recheck again this year.

My  gastroenterologist told me that I didn't have to take Calcitriol in  the
summer but I continued it anyway.  I feel that he is too  conservative and
I believe that my numbers are too close to the lower levels and  as you can
see I can't even get close to the 50 level.

I have used  Calcitriol manufactured by both Teva and by Roxane and I
haven'thad any side  effects that I know of.

5. vitamin D website:  _www.vitamindcouncil.org_
(http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/)  for exact details and more  information.

I started taking Calcitriol .25 mcg(micrograms)  daily.
Rosalie