From:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 2010 22:22:40 -0700

Dear Listmates,

We recently attended a wedding in the UK - our daughter's - and had the
chance to spend almost two weeks not as tourists but as residents in very
scenic Surrey. Living off of the economy was pretty simple given the
accessibility to gluten free food both at restaurants and at supermarkets.
I've put overall impressions into a short blog that you can access from
here: http://bit.ly/GF_Bake . The link to the blog will be one of the first
things you will see just under the picture. But that is not the topic. One
of my favorite breads turned out to be crumpets. I see the non-GF packages
all of the time here in the SF Bay Area and wondered what they tasted like.
Finally, I could have them in the UK. It was definitely love at first bite,
and I tried to have them for breakfast almost every day.

I figured it would be pretty easy to stir-up some crumpets at home. It was a
bit of a challenge, and the fifth try turned out to be mostly successful. If
you have a sure-fire recipe for GF crumpets, please send it my direction. If
you don't then maybe you would like to try mine. Click on this link
http://bit.ly/GF_Bake (same as
http://home.comcast.net/~vhdolcourt/gfbaking/) and migrate down the
page to Rolls and Small Breads. Crumpets can be found
in the third selection, and the entry is marked with a red chevron (>). I
think they taste pretty good. They are a bit different than the UK crumpets
- not quite as dry, but quite acceptable with a slightly tart and yeasty
flavor. You can adjust the tartness to suite your taste. But probably the
best part about crumpets is how easy they are to make and how little time it
takes to make them. There are only a small number of ingredients, they are
egg-free and very low in fat, and they bake on a skillet in just 8 minutes.
These crumpets, as well as the commercial UK ones, use a combination of
yeast and what amounts to baking powder. Actually, a crumpet is a close
relative of a pancake.

Crumpets are not only fun to eat, they are also fun to make. Crumpets are
simple enough to make along with your child, and you get nearly instant
gratification. My wife has put pictures into the instructions, so you
shouldn't have any trouble. But if you do, please let me know.

Happy crunching and munching.

Vic-Sunnyvale, CA