From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 2010 17:18:13 -0400

I don't recall which of our members alerted us to the change in ingredients in Lipton Recip Secrets Onion soup mix, but this is worth responding to all.....as a reminder to keep reading boxes. I have to admit, I've used this soup for so long, I might have missed the change to barley, if our listmate didn't call it to our attention.

I knew before that the kosher box contained wheat and barley, but was using the non-kosher variety. Now the Lipton (non-kosher variety) contains barley. This is very new.

I phoned the company (Unilever) at 1-877-995-4490, the number on the box I have....an old one.

The rep said there must have been a reason for the change,  that their soup mixes really aren't made on gluten-free lines, so they won't label them as gf, and she will make the company aware of my concern regarding adding barley to a product that many of us felt safe using before.

I always tell companies that I don't believe they must provide gf products. The world doesn't owe me a living. But that I'm disappointed that I'll have to seek out a competitor, and quite frankly, I don't know of any other onion soup mix that does not contain beef (or anything specifically not kosher) or dairy and is gluten-free.  (I rarely use it anyway, but it's a staple in my house for making dip when I have company.)

Anyway, thanks for the heads up and the reminder that we have to keep reading packages, even when we've used a product for decades.
*******
*******